Re: Mounting drives across the internet

Jason Hess ( jjhess@laf.cioe.com )
Wed, 09 Jul 1997 20:45:18 -0500

Darryl Harvey wrote:

> Adam Dillaplain wrote:
> >
> > Unless I'm missing the boat here, I'd do it this way:
> >
> > The relaxed security way: Just log into the NT Domain over the internet
> > and do your deed
>
> But that is what I am asking. How do you log into the NT Domain over
> the internet ??
> What do I need to do to;
> 1/. The server to enable the ability to accept conenctions from the
> remote machines.
> 2/. The workstation (Remote PC (WIN95)), how does it need to be
> configured to;
> a) find the NT Host/Domain
> b) logon and connect to the NT Host.
>
> > The hightened security way: Just have the machines Dial into each other,
> > set up your WAN (RAS, etc.), log in, go to town.
>
> Nup, Want to use the internet as the backbone. Security is *not* a
> major issue or concern.
>

> > Adam
> >
> > At 11:20 AM 7/9/97 +1000, you wrote:
> > >Not really an ISP question, but hopefully the answer is easy and one of
> > >you will help.
> > >
> > >Scene: Corporate LAN, connected to the internet using NT server.
> > >Remote LAN, connected to the internet, could be NT, could be Win95
> > >(Could even be a remote dialup)
> > >
> > >We need to access an Access DB on the NT server. Remote machines need
> > >to update and retrieve records.
> > >
> > >I know it can be done, but the actual how has me licked.
> > >
> > >Can someone please explain how to enable this.
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Darryl

Looks like a job for PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol). It is
kind of a RAS feature that can be done straight through the Internet.
With the correct settings and passwords, you can access a remote machine
(an NT Server or '95 machine) right through the Internet. Although there
is a lot of talk, there a few too many people
who have accomplished this flawlessly (that I know of). From NT Server
to NT Server is not supposed to be too bad, and MS just released their
new Dial-Up Networking version that support PPTP for '95. A lot of good
info is available at their site and on the Knowledge Base.

Good Luck,
Jason Hess
CIOE Corporation