Re: NT Permission Blues

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Tue, 08 Jul 1997 08:31:47 -0400

One other caveat about this. If your network is unusually busy, and is
UNSWITCHED ethernet, using mapped drives is a BAD idea on FTP and Web
servers. The local traffic that this causes, as the files move from the
machine that stores the files to the machine running the application, can
cause so many collisions that your network performance will degrade to
unusability.

Whenever you are setting up something like this, among your goals should be
to minimize network traffic -- to keep as much on the bus level as you can,
by using only local drives. It's ALWAYS better to add another hard drive
than it is to map to an existing one.