Re: NT Permission Blues

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Tue, 08 Jul 1997 08:27:13 -0400

Services NEVER have access to the mapped drives of the USER logged on.
Services typically do NOT run as the logged on user unless you SPECIFY that
they run as a user instead of the system device (and even THEN they won't
have access to the mapped drives).

You should run Serv-U from the startup group of the default user. In
REGEDT32, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
Microsoft
WindowsNT
CurrentVersion
WinLogon

Ensure that the following values exist:

AutoAdminLogon: REG_SZ = 1
DefaultUsername: REG_SZ = Username to login as
DefaultPassword: REG_SZ = password of that user

When you start NT, it will auto-matically bypass the Ctrl-Alt-Del to login,
will login as the above user, and will start the startup group programs for
that user, which should include SERV-U.

You should use NT Explorer (File Manager if v3.51 -- but WHY 3.51 with 4.0
available?) to map the drives, and to reconnect upon login. THEN in
SERV-U setup, do NOT use the mapped drive letter, but the UNC name:

\\SERVER-NAME\SHARED-DIR-NAME\LOCAL-SUBDIR\ETC

Keep the UNC name as SHORT as possible. (For one, SUemer.dll likes 'em
short).

Good luck -- ask if you need any help.