Re: Re[2]: modems upgrade

Randy Martin ( randy@austintx.net )
Tue, 01 Jul 1997 01:21:19 -0500

At 10:52 PM 6/30/97 -0700, you wrote:
>And you're right. We in fact DO have them going through a UPS.
>
>-Ric
>

>At 10:34 6/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>I agree. I ran a BBS for 6 years, used only USR modems, some problems that
>>were solved by putting them on a UPS of their own and had exactly 1 fail
>>during that entire time (Lightning strike next door). I still use USR's
>>today.
>>
>>I don't understand the bad rep you guys are giving them. They've got (had)
>>the BBS market locked up for years. Maybe it's really a power-line problem,
>>like I mentioned above.

You guys just don't get it! There's USR "standards", then there's the rest
of the modem industry. USR modems only really support other USR modems.
Almost everyone with a Rockwell chipset modem has trouble connecting to a
USR modem, and almost all USR modems have problems connecting to Rockwell
chipset modems. Don't you agree that it would be nice to have just one set
of "standards" to worry about??

The same is true with 56K technology. There's X2, only supported by USR
(and now 3com, but only because 3com bought USR), and then there's the
entire rest of the modem industry with 56KFlex. Don't we have enough to
worry about with trying to make a living in a highly competitive industry
without USR trying to inflict it poorly thoughtout X2 "standard" on
everyone else??

Regards,
Randy

Randy Martin Voice: (512) 335-2368