Re: Running off SCSI harddisk, adding an IDE

Michel Thiffault ( thiffault.michel@uqam.ca )
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 00:29:42 -0400

Hi,

There is a trick to boot your NT system from the SCSI disk instead of
the IDE, even with an old BIOS. This works with the setup I'm using now
to write this email: Gigabyte motherboard, FX chipset, Award BIOS,
Pentium 150, 2 IDE drives, Adaptec 2940 and 1520 SCSI controllers, 3
SCSI drives (of which 2 are mirrored) and some SCSI goodies (tape,
scanner, Syquest, CD-ROM).

First, your SCSI host adapter BIOS must be enabled and your first SCSI
disk (id=0) must be bootable (MBR, ntdetect.com, ntldr and boot.ini
correctly installed - more to come about boot.ini); this should be the
case if this disk was your system boot device disk before the
installation of the IDE drive.

Second, your BIOS setting must be set to NONE for the IDE drive. BE
CAREFUL: DO NOT DISABLE THE IDE CONTROLLER. This way, your system BIOS
won't even try to boot from IDE, but the IDE drive parameters will be
obtained directly from the drive itself by NT during the bootup process
from the SCSI disk.

Boot.ini: the rdisk number of the boot device should correspond to the
SCSI id of the system disk; do not count the IDE drive(s).

Hope this helps,

Michel

-- Michel Thiffaultcoordonnateur, projet JURiS (http://www.juris.uqam.ca/), GRIDcharge de cours, Departement des sciences juridiques, UQAM(514) 987-3000 6656# (fax 514 987-6548)