RE: NT Licensing

Louis Kahn ( )
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:31:30 -0700

Are the users dialing directly into your Windows NT Server? (ie. are you
using RAS?) If you are using RAS, you must have a CAL for each
simultaneous connection (assuming you choose per server license mode).
If you are not using Windows NT Server as your terminal server (modem
server), then you only need a NT CAL for that server if the user access
file/print or comm resources on that machine. Otherwise, while you may
need licenses for the other services they access running on that server
(Exchange licenses for example) you will not need NT CALs for those

Keep in mind I give this opinion based on what you have said below, so
it may or may not apply to you if the information you provided isn't


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Danny Sinang []
> Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 1997 5:18 PM
> Subject: NT Licensing
> If 20 users at a time will simultaneously be dialing in to my machine
> to
> use it as :
> 1. gateway to the internet
> 2. web server
> 3. ftp server
> 4. email server
> ( but No file or printer sharing at all )
> Do I need 20 client access licenses ?
> - Danny Sinang
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> NTISP Mailing List