Re: horsepower vs # of RAS ports

Jeff Binkley ( jeff.binkley@asacomp.com )
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 19:41:00 -0500

I doubt that is the problem since NT would complain about a license violation
but would allow the login. I suspect the problem is not enough logical ports
in the registery. I went through this once before when I added ports at two
different times as opposed to all at one time. Check the following registery
entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AsyncMac4\Paramaters\Ports

The value here should be the number of ports assigned to RAS in hex. Don't
make it bigger or smaller than the number of ports you are using. Next check:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AsyncMac\Parameters\Ports

Same as above in hex.

lastly, check:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NdisWan\Ports

Same as above except this value is in decimal.

If this sounds like the voice of experience, it is <grin>...

Jeff

-> Have you checked the license logging situation? If you don't have enought
-> concurent licenses it will not allow the person on.
->
-> ----------
-> > From: Rick Kunze <rkunze@colusanet.com>
-> > To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
-> > Subject: horsepower vs # of RAS ports
-> > Date: Tuesday, June 24, 1997 1:16 PM
-> >
-> > Hi ppl,
-> >
-> > Does anyone know what kind of horsepower (CPU/RAM) is
-> required/recommended
-> > for a given number of RAS ports?
-> >
-> > The reason I'm asking is because I get multiple successive logon attempts
-> > (indicating that the modem is simply dropping the connection right after >
-> authentication) during my peak periods. I'm wondering if I simply don't >
-> have enough horsepower. I've ruled out the possibility of a bad modem or >
-> port.
-> >
-> > TIA
-> >