Re: Multiple domains on a single IP

Drew ( andreww@ozsurf.net.au )
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 20:43:05 GMT

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:27:49 -0400, you wrote:

>IP6 is a pipe dream. There's no WAY it'll ever be ready in time. =
Upgrades
>to existing routers, etc.... You're right, we have to make a more
>efficient use of resources, but the users have to help. =20

Yes it is a way off, and its the only solution we have, Education of
the user is definately important, thats why we use option 1 when the
site is suitable for it. (no Static IP, Message saying upgrade for old
browsers, and a link list of Virtual Sites.)

Oh btw if someone is thinking of using this method, you need to setup
your document roots carefully to do this, because you have to be able
to refer to your virtual sites as "sub-sites" of your master site.=20

ie www.yourcompany.com.au becomes www.ispnet.net.au/yourcompany when
refering to it under this method from the link list using an old
browers.

I think I will put together a short FAQ on setting up a web server
using HTTP 1.1. There doesn't seem to be much info out there, and
certainly a lot of confusion.

Ciao

Drew