Re: Multiple domains on a single IP

Drew ( andreww@ozsurf.net.au )
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:00:41 GMT

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:35:33 -0400, you wrote:

>I see this question alot. So here are my thoughts.
>
>You can host numerous domains on one ip, but only can 'truly' host one
>virtual web domain per ip.
>
>This is from my experience from unix and nt platforms.

Sorry I have to disagree, using a web server that is http 1.1
compliant you can have one ip linked to several virtual domains and
server pages for each.

=46rom memory the Apache Documentation details how to do this.
(When I was playing with it, it took me less than 1/2 an hour to get
it operational)

Basically you point the virtual domains at the same IP.

ifconfig and route the IP

configure apache to handle the virutal domains.

When a request comes in the server software actually get the domain
name from the details provided to it and serves the correct pages.

Ciao

Drew