Re: Filters for spam - IP addresses vs Domain names

James Corey ( datadoc@datadoctor.com )
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:27:36 -0400

I use IMS and a filter written by Paul Sica (see my sig) that lets you
filter on ANYTHING that appears in the mail header. I use a mixture of IPs,
bogus return addresses, phrases, and SMTP IDs. Also I've set the server to
reject any mail to this domain that doesn't have a real account. It also
checks the size of the address list, if it's over a certain size I set, it
pulls it out as well.

Has just about stopped spammers using my site for reflecting, as when it
gets here, it just vanishes into a black hole.

At 08:45 06/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>All,
>
>Sorry for the intrusion but I would like to survey this group of ISP
>administrators on how they have implemented filters for spammers.
>
>I myself have set up our BSDI 2.1 sendmail server with the Scheck_compat,
>Scheck_relay, and Scheck_mail and have them set up to filter based on
>Domain names.
>
>The reason why I ask this is because we have a customer they claims that
>all other ISP filter based on IP addresses, and I would like to have some
>data to either prove or disprove this.
>
>If you would, please answer me directly by sending email to
>smorris@feist.com
>
>Thanks
>Steven Morris
>Feist Systems, Inc.
>smorris@feist.com
>www.feist.com

James Corey <Postmaster@datadoctor.com>

Want a Digest of the IMSusers mail list?
Send the text "CMD>SUBSCRIBE" as the SUBJECT to:
imsuserdigest@datadoctor.com

SPAM filter for IMS mail server. Check out
http://www.sica.com/freestuf/
Does multi-homed aliasing, too!

New IMS list management. It's at
http://tiga.systonic.fr/ims/