Re: IIS Question

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 05 Jun 1997 13:01:00 -0700

Petar Nikolich wrote:

> From my reading of the included help page it states that you can
> not use UNC share names as content paths. You must map your
> shared directory on the web server machine as a drive letter.
>
> i.e. map \\server\directory\filename.html --> X:
>
> and use "X:" in the IIS setup page.

Actually, the above is not required and you should NEVER
use drive letter for a service, since there is no
gurantee that the drive letter will be available and
it is also a major security issue.

I have been doing this since IIS 2.0 and it works
fine. I just did it again on one of our servers.

When you put a directory in that starts with \\server\
then the username/password section is enabled and you
can specify the information to connect as. We do
multi-server connections this way a lot.