Re: NT Server and pcAnywhere

Andras Tudos - Computronic, C3 ( (no email) )
Tue, 03 Jun 1997 15:44:02 +0200

I had the same error sometime ago, I incidentally renamed the Program Files
folder and got the same message, because pcAnywhere could not find itself
at startup. I could solve it only by installing a simple NTWS to access the
NTFS partition and rename the folder back.

We are happily using pcAnywhere on several servers across WAN links and I
couldn't image my life without it. We tried Avalan's product as well, but
it had several problems with screen redraws and colors, so we decided to
use pcAnywhere and have no problems at all. The only missing feature is to
be able to use the ALT-TAB combination somehow.

At 09:19 97.06.03 -0400, you wrote:
>Please folks, don't let this happen to you:
>
>When we first started up, I made the mistake of installing pcANYWHERE32,
>version 7.5 on one of our NT Servers. BIG MISTAKE. The resulting blue-
>screen error was devastating: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in win32k.sys
>
>This error, which Symantec swears can't be from pcANYWHERE, is most
>definitely caused by this program. Subsequent to restoring from backup
>and getting the server back up and running, I located an article on the
>MSKB which mentions pcANYWHERE and this error. The article text is at
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q158/6/36.htm
>
>and although it claims only to be an issue when upgrading from NT 3.51
>to 4.0, I can say from experience that it may happen to you on a virgin
>4.0 machine like it happened to us.
>
>Just a warning in the hopes that you'll find another product for your
>remote access needs.
>

>Raymond S. Leventhal
>Florida's Internet Providing Services, Inc
>leventhal@flips.net
>http://www.flips.net
>

><<Forget world peace, visualize using your turn signal>>

Andras Tudos
Computronic, C3 http://tech.c3.hu
Budapest, Hungary http://www.computronic.hu