Re: WebTV n' Radius Proxy

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 30 May 1997 18:51:42 -0700 ()

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Josh Perry wrote:

> We are thinking of becoming WebTV capable as we are one of the only ISP's
> in our area that can... WebTV contacted us.. and among other things said
> we need to be running Radius Proxy... I'm not sure I'm familiar with this
> term... Could someone explain what this is.. and what it does for the WebTV
> people and for us...

Its something we are working on in the new multi-threaded version of
RadiusNT. Basically what is does is when RadiusNT receives a request,
it looks at the username and:

A) If it does not contain an @ symbol, its local and works just
like you know RadiusNT to.

B) If it contains an @ symbolm, RadiusNT looks up the domain to
the right of the @ symbol in a table. Based on the config
for it, it can:

1) Make a proxy request to another RADIUS server (like
WebTV's), and return the results of the proxy request
back to the NAS.

2) Look it up in a different users file or database and
act very similar to it being local.

So in escense a proxy server forwards requests to another RADIUS server,
based on rules or other information and returns the results to the NAS.

Dale