Re: SQL User Connections

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 11:46:34 -0700

Kurt Schafer wrote:

> What kind of connection resources does the RADIUS user grab ?
>
> I'm going through trying to stroke my SQL server configuration and notice
> that all 15 of the 15 maximum connections that SQL server set itself up for
> in the default configuration are used up. Should I be expanding this number
> in order to make sure that I have enough open connections available for
> Radius requests (accounting/auth) and Emerald client connections?
>
> In my eventual production environment, I'll be authenticating from
> approximately 500 NAS ports.
>
> Any other SQL defaults I should maybe look to adjust ? "temp db in ram"
> perhaps ?

RadiusNT itself only uses one connection to the SQL Server. Each
Emerald client required two connections, plus a dynamic third
during printing. So with 15 connection, you could have 2 RadiusNT
machines, and 4 Emerald clients comfortably. Once you start using
Enterprise Manager (two connections, plus one for each query) they
can go really fast.

The things I would check for setup are:

1. Memory (give SQL Server atleast 20mb of memory, thats 10000 in
the config).

2. Temb DB needs to be atleast 15mb. By default its 2. If you put it
in ram, you need to have atleast 128mb of ram on the machine.

3. If SQL Server is running on a machine without anything else, you can
use the priority boost.