Re: Radiusnt as Service

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Fri, 23 May 1997 10:36:00 -0400

> From: Michael R. Conder <mconder@xts.net>
> One advantage is that say the power goes out and your system reboots...it
> can't start unless you log on to the machine. A service is started
before
> logon.

Actually, services don't always start before a user logs in. A user can
log long before a service starts. The key thing is that a service (under
normal conditions) can be set to start automatically without any
intervention from a user (no one has to be logged onto the machine). This
is obviously pretty handy when a machine unexpectedly reboots for whatever
reason. Apparently, the next release of RadiusNT will have better handling
of the automatic starting of its service. Right now, it starts sometimes
and not at other times--there appears to be no particular consistency to
it. Here in the lightning capitol of the world, it's pretty-much a
necessity that it automatically starts with how often the power flickers
(though moreso in south FL, than here in Tallahassee).

One other advantage to running RadiusNT as a service is that accounting
transactions occur much quicker because there's no video output being
bottlenecked by your display adapter (and what other reasons there may be).

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com