RE: Password Encryption

Mitch Wagers ( wizard@telcentral.net )
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 17:27:08 -0500

Do not use CHAP encryption on your NAS. Use PAP

At 03:21 PM 4/30/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Checked that (many times and once more for good measure!). I even changed
it to a password of less than 8 characters. The decrypted password still
comes out garbage every time I try to connect. Any more suggestions?

Emerald Client v2.1.8, Emerald Admin v2.1.0, and MS SQL Server v6.50.201 on
a dual Pentium Pro running NT 4.0 SP2 (build 1381).

>> When I run radlogin.exe on any of my users located in the Emerald DB the
user checks out fine. When I try to dial-in using the same user, Radius
will not authenticate (I am using a MAX 4004 for my NAS). I have run in
debug mode and noticed the encrypted password is always different for the
same user. Is this right?

>> I am fairly certain the users aren't getting authenticated because the
password is getting hosed up on the way from the NAS to the Radius server.
Is there any way to capture the string going into Radius for authentication
from the NAS. Also, is it possible to capture the message going back to
the NAS?