Re: NT News Server

Greg Boehnlein ( damin@acclink.com )
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 02:47:52 -0500

At 07:13 PM 3/19/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Greg Boehnlein wrote:
>>
>> We're intergrating Emerald with Linux at an alarming rate here, and thanks
>> to Dale and I cracking heads on a couple of phone calls, have the export /
>> automatic account creation / synchornization setup and working. It's
>> really rather slick.
>
>And for my bandages, I'd like to see that one of these days. :)

Well, I've been working with it and currently I have it working under RedHat
linux with Shadow Passwords. I wanted to leave things as configurable as
possible on the Administrator's side, so I The C program actually parsing
through the Emerald Export file and calling shell commands to do the brunt
of the work. Here's the current layout.

The program "emparse" resides in /sbin since it doesn't need to be run by
anyone other than root.

There is a directory called "/usr/sbin/emparse" that holds the actual
commands that are executed. (ADD, DEL, EXT and CHG).

Currently, these commands are Bash shell scripts that I hacked up based
loosely on the code pulled from the "adduser" command under Linux. It has a
couple of modifications in it, such as;

1. Ability to pass all it's arguements on the command line.
2. Creation of shadow file entries.
3. Creation of group file entries.
4. Password setting (I DO NOT LIKE TO PASS THE PASSWORD ON THE COMMAND LINE
so I MAY apply some sort of simple encryption to it in the future).
5. Automatic setting of the Expiration Date

So far, that is about as far as I have gotten with it, which suits our
immediate needs. There is a lot more to be done, but it's something that
will evolve over time as some of the other issues with Emerald and Exports
are resolved.

Wish List
---------
1. Removal of the need to export -2- copies of the "EXT" file. We talked
briefly about this