Re: Name Servers

Greg Boehnlein ( damin@seka.nacs.net )
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:51:56 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Mitch Wagers wrote:

> Actually, no we that has nothing to do with this :) I wanted to know the
> effects of the comserver not having the correct dns entries, and the answer
> is, with the *cisco* equipment, You might as well not have any customers,
> because it doesn't work well :)

Well, it stands to reason that if a Customer doesn't have the correct DNS
server's assigned, they won't be able to resolve ANY names except those
assigned locally in a hosts file or whatever the Mac / Winslows equivalent
is.

This is not a fault of the NAS, but an effect of poor planning and a
limited understanding of how the DNS system works.

On the other hand, your Cisco will not be able to resolve names if IT is
not setup right! So, when logged into the console, you will not be able to
do things such as "traceroute", "ping" and "telnet" using anything except
IP addresses.

--      President of New Age Consulting Service, Inc.  Cleveland Ohio             SLIP/PPP/Unix Shell   28.8k / ISDN / Leased Line           http://www.nacs.net   info@nacs.net   (216)-524-8414