Re: MS Access

Sam Dibrell, Jr. ( sam@stic.net )
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 02:37:47 -0600

Wilhelm,
Access has the ability to replicate itself to any computer on your LAN (or
a laptop for that matter). The only problem I forsee with this process is
that the user account will no longer be activated immediately (on both
servers) due to the fact that the files are copied on a particular
schedule. You could esentially have it replicate every 10 minutes or so,
but I hope you have a 100 MBPS LAN :)
You can find out about replication in the TOOLS --> REPLICATION menu of
Access95.

Also as a side note to all those using Access...don't forget to compact
your database on a fairly regular basis. It can grow quite large very
quickly with multiple staff adding/changing user information. We got up to
130 MB (with 5000 users) and RADIUS started to show 2000ms+ ODBC latency.
After a compact, the DB was down to 4 MB (yep..4 MB) and ODBC was back to
~900ms....

Hope this helps....

Sam Dibrell, Jr.
System Administrator