Re: Emerald, Portmaster2e and USR modems - 56k possible?

Kent Runyan ( (no email) )
Wed, 28 May 1997 13:19:58 -0600

We went with X2 because most of our existing customers are using USR
modems. USR guarantees they will upgrade any X-2 modem to whatever the
standard ends up to be. We bought a Total Control Hub with 48 of the X-2
capable modems and have been pleased with the connection speeds. Most of
our users are reporting 47K and higher, one even reported 51.9K.

I would liked to have bought the PM-3 instead but K56 was not available
then and they did not have a firm date on release of the faster modems.

In the long run, it won't matter which one you buy, as far as the standard
goes, because all the manufacturers are promising to match the standard
whenever it is released. Usability and reliability are yet to be tested,
so far so good.

It's a tough choice. We ended up polling our existing users and had only
one respond positively to the K56 modem side of the argument.

----------
> From: Allen Wisor <Allen@nova1.net>
> To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
> Subject: Re: Emerald, Portmaster2e and USR modems - 56k possible?
> Date: Wednesday, May 28, 1997 12:50 PM
>
> >Choosing USR will give you x2 now with a promise of the STANDARD later.
>

> Does this mean you think X2 will be the standard or that you think USR
> will convert X2 into what ever the standard is. Personally I think USR
> is tring to control a market by producing proprietary equipment. Where
> as with K56flex there are at least 6 independent chip manufacturers
> working
> together. Also USR is charge all customer to upgrade and only the 33.6
> modems.
> Ascend is upgrade their rockwell chips for free. Hayes will upgrade any
> modem
> any manufacturer for $99. In my opinion I think K56flex will win in the
> end,
> all USR has is an excellent marketing team and big heads.
>

> Could we here some more opinions on X2 and K56flex?????????
>

> Randy Fischer wrote:
> >
> > x2 service DEPENDS on a DIGITAL connection between the ISP and the
Phone
> > company. In order to accomplish that you as the ISP must have ISDN or
PRI
> > or a channalized T1 line from the phone company. The equipment that
will
> > support those types of lines at the ISP's site are NOT regular analog
> > modems. You CANNOT support incoming x2 connections with ANY analog
modem
> > including USR Couriers or Sportsters.
> >
> > If you wish to jump on the x2 bandwagon then you have to use USRobotics
> > solutions. The one that I am familier with is the TOTAL CONTROL with
> > DIGITAL modems. This solution uses a PRI or T1 and gives 23-24
incoming
> > lines per T1 connection and will support upto 2 T1's for incoming
dialup
> > connections. USR also has a ISDN solution (I think) that uses BRI
lines to
> > support x2.
> >
> > Livingston PM3 is also a way to go. This solution does not address x2
> > directly but is a similar way to setup for the 56k fad. It also
requires a
> > DIGITAL connection to the Phone company.
> >
> > The x2 / 56flex fight is just beginning. The result should be a
standard
> > that both USR and the REST of the world can support. Choosing USR will
> > give you x2 now with a promise of the STANDARD later. The advantage is
> > that many (NOT ALL) existing USR modems can be upgraded to x2. If you
use
> > USR's solution you can give your users 56k now. When the standard is
> > settled on and everyone adopts it then it will not matter which ISP
side
> > solution you have chosen.
> >
> > I personally feel that the Livingston solution is much more elegant.
It
> > uses state of the art components and is MUCH smaller, lighter, quieter
and
> > cooler than a USR total control. But to make your existing USR users
happy
> > will take awhile while the standard gets hashed out. Which is why I
chose
> > to use the USR total control for my first device and will use PM3's for
all
> > my expansion.
> > > From: Franco Nogarin <webmaster@auroranet.nt.ca>
> > > To: 'NTISP@emerald.iea.com'
> > > Subject: Emerald, Portmaster2e and USR modems - 56k possible?
> > > Date: Wednesday, May 28, 1997 10:50 AM
> > >
> > > I feel doomed here, I have committed to Emerald, Livingston and USR.
now