Re: New OOB Hotfix available

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Fri, 23 May 1997 13:40:27 -0400

There's a Windows 95 fix available too (as of 5/19). I've only tested it
on one machine so far (Win95 4.0.950a) and it still crashed even after the
fix.
Info and downloads:

Windows 95:
http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q168/7/47.htm

NT 4.0 SP3:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com
/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/usa/nt40/hotfixes-postSP3/oob-fix

NT 4.0 SP2:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com
/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/usa/nt40/hotfixes-postSP2/oob-fix

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

----------
> From: Danny Mayer <mayer@mro.dec.com>
> To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
> Subject: New OOB Hotfix available
> Date: Friday, May 23, 1997 10:16 AM
>
> For those who haven't heard, Microsoft has now released a new
version
> of the OOB fix (it was made available late Thursday evening - May 22).
> According to the KB article:

===
> DOCUMENT:Q143478 [winnt]
> TITLE :Stop 0A in TCPIP.SYS When Receiving Out Of Band (OOB) Data
> PRODUCT :Microsoft Windows NT
> PROD/VER:3.51 4.00
> OPER/SYS:WINDOWS
> KEYWORDS:kbbug3.51 kbbug4.00 kbfile kbfix3.51 kbfix4.00 NTSrvWkst nttcp

> The information in this article applies to:
>
> - Microsoft Windows NT Workstation versions 3.51 and 4.0
> - Microsoft Windows NT Server versions 3.51 and 4.0

> SYMPTOMS
> ========
>
> A Stop 0x0000000A occurs in Tcpip.sys when receiving Out of Band (OOB)
> data.
>
> CAUSE
> =====
>
> A sender specifies "Out of Band" data by setting the URGENT bit flag in
the
> TCP header. The receiver uses the URGENT POINTER to determine where in
the
> segment the urgent data ends. Windows NT bugchecks when the URGENT
POINTER
> points to the end of the frame and no normal data follows. Windows NT
> expects normal data to follow.
>
> RESOLUTION
> ==========
>
> Microsoft has updated Tcpip.sys to correct the problem. Instructions for
> installing it are available from Microsoft support channels, or directly
> from the following Internet locations:
>
> ** NOTE: This hotfix was originally posted on 5/12/97. A second fix **
> ** was completed on 5/21/97, to address another nearly identical **
> ** attack, and this hotfix has replaced the original one. **
> ** The first hotfix is included in 4.0 SP3, however the second one **
> ** is not, so a 4.0 post-sp3 is now available also. **

===

> They have made hotfixes available for the following versions of NT and
> Platform:
>
> NT 4.0 SP3 Intel and Alpha
> NT 4.0 SP2 Intel
> NT 3.51 SP5 Intel and Alpha
>
> I'm trying to find out why there's no Alpha version for NT 4.0
SP2.