Re: Dial in problems

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Thu, 15 May 1997 09:22:45 -0400

> From: Chuck Scott <chuck@integrityonline.com>
> We are an ISP running NT 4.0, IIS 3.0, MSProxy and SP2. Today, I have
had
> numerous calls from people saying they cannot dial-in. They get an error
> saying "Dial-Up networking could not negotiate a compatible set of
> protocols, check you Control Panel... blah, blah, blah." I have had some
> people jsut reboot, and that works. Some we have to make a new dialup
> connection and it works for some. One guy I had to have him reinstall
all
> his network junk. That did not work. All these customers are running
> Win95. Is it something on my server? I have many people logging on as
> normal. HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!

I kind of doubt this will account for all of the problems your users are
having, but I noticed this problem pop up with the original release of
Win95 (4.0.950) on occasion. When it happened, the user (including me back
then) had to restart windows or the error would show every time they tried
connecting. After installing Win95's Service Pack 1
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/software.htm) I and others haven't seen
the problem since. After installing SP1, Win95's version changes to
4.0.950a.

This problem was not consistent with any particular ISP. I've noticed it
with many (using entirely different equipment).

Just a thought...

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com