RE: Winnuke

Phil Thomas ( phil@aci.net )
Sun, 11 May 1997 22:22:42 -0700

I really would not recommend filtering port 139 that is NT's netbios
broadcast port. Filtering it will cause you to lose all of you netbios
connectivity.

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: David Scott [SMTP:DavidScott@mtgroup.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 1997 10:16 PM
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
Subject: Re: Winnuke

The other thing you can do if you have NT 4.0 is to go to Network
Neighborhood properties, choose
"Protocols","TCP/IP","Properties","Advanced","Enable
Security/Configure",and under "TCP Ports", permit only those ports
you
absolutely need. This will allow you to filter 138 and 139 (or your
telnet
port, or mail, etc.). Much more efficient to use if you have a mixed
environment of NT and Unix machines, cause you don't have to block
all
traffic at the router.

David Scott

> From: Phil Thomas <phil@aci.net>