Re: Mail/News

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sat, 10 May 1997 17:03:59 -0700

Brian Dorricott wrote:

> If you want Virtual Domains in the same sense as a WWW server (that
> is; from
> outside the machine, you cannot tell the mail server is running two
> independant mail domains), the POP3 protocol REQUIRES that you use a
> different IP address for each virtual domain. Any mail server that
> does not
> require you to do this, is not offering true multiple domain support -
> rather a "quick fix" to give the appearance of multiple domains
> (IMHO).

This is one of the things that drove me CRAZY about Post.Office. You
had to kludge the pop accounts for support, info, etc for all your
virtual domains to be whacky. We put a nice PP200 up with NTMail,
IIS 3.0, etc, and use the IP addresses in coordination and it
works great for spoofing an entire domain reasonably.