RE: ftp with virtual servers

Stuart Stevenson ( Stuart@infotech-sw.com )
Thu, 8 May 1997 13:56:09 -0500

You can download via http and skip the ftp service altogether if you
just want to download files from a web page. Just make a link to the
download file with a standard A HREF tag. If the file is an
executable, you may need to put it in a directory which IIS has marked
as READ and not execute. Otherwise, the web server may try to run it
rather than download it.

To do ftp, you still won't need multi-homing ftp. Simply reference the
file's A HREF tag to ftp://ftp.domain.com/dirname/filename.

If, after all that hot air, you still want virtual ftp servers, you can
check out War ftp. It's freeware that I have found much more flexible
and reliable than IIS. It's at http://www.jgaa.com/tftpd.htm