Re: IIS Problem

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:51:39 -0700

Jeff Woods wrote:

> Correct. What user is the IIS service running as? Remember, SERVICES do
> not have access to the mapped drives that logged-on users do, unless you
> really tweak the config. I'm not SURE about this, but you may be able to
> have IIS run as a specific user in the domain, and then refer to the remote
> drives by server name, so long as that user has access to log onto THAT box
> and that directory.

IIS can only run as a system service. When it starts, it does a userid
switch
to the user you configure it to run as in the Admin. You can't change
this
behavior and the new security descriptor is runs as CAN attach remotely;
we
do it all the time here.

> i.e. on the remote box, using Explorer or file manager, share the directory
> as "shared-dir", and make sure user "WebUser" has the desired access.
>
> On the web server, set the IIS services to run as "WebUser" instead of as a
> system service, and refer to the shared, remote dir as:
>
> \\remoteservername\shared-dir
>
> It may not weork, but its worth a try.

This IS how you do it, but permissions are typically the main factor.
If you
don't have permissions correctly on the remote machine, you are SOL.
IIS likes
to have and off set of permissions, but typically its easy to make work.