Re: Some Accounting Problems for ISPs

Mark Williamson ( )
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 10:58:51 -0700

At 09:58 AM 4/20/97 -0400, you wrote:
>We are small ISP and would like to know how other ISPs account for the
>1. How can you automatically report (to feed into a billing system) the
>amount of web space a customer is using. We allow x amount of web space
>per customer and need to bill them x amount for each megabyte over the

Use ISP Manager :) It includes a program to go out and calculate the users
directory usage for multiple directories per user, sums it up and charges
the customer based on settings you have established, i.e. 5 free megs, $1.00
per meg after that etc.

>2. We do Web Page hosting for some large accounts and have no way to
>measure the amount of bandwidth they are using. IIS Assistant will tell me
>the number of hits and the amount of data transferred during a month, week,
>or day but this is a manual process.

Crystal Reports for IIS will do this, as will the next version of my program.

>We have an Ascend Pipeline 130 but it does not provide the accounting we
>need to do our billing.

WHat type of logging does it provide?

send me email to and we can discuss your situation.

Mark Williamson
Home of ISP Manager
Quality billing software for WinNT