Re: Mail Servers

lists ( lists@terragon.com )
Fri, 28 Mar 97 15:48:19 -0500

-- [ From: lists * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Hi,

> Is it possible to have multiple mail servers using the same domain? If so
> how is that accomplished in DNS?

I assume your asking if you can have more than one mail server and still
have everybody's email address be 'somebody@isp.com'. As far as I know,
there is no way to do that. If you throw up another mail server, you need
to give them different names.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

That is one of the things that interested me about Microsoft's Normady (MCIS
or whatever it is now) Email server. I believe it was designed to use an
SQL database to keep track of everybody's email account and what server they
were on. When mail would come in for somebody at 'isp.com', their records
are examined and then the message is forwarded on to whatever mail machine
has their account on it. I haven't used it, so I can't say for sure this is
how it works, but that's my understanding from reading the white papers.

-Lance