Re: Assigning IP Addresses beyond 5 limit

Lee Levitt ( Lee.Levitt@software.com )
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:13:35 -0500

At 01:56 PM 3/26/97 -0700, SysAdmin wrote:
>To All,
>
>It is my understanding that although there is a
>limit to the number (5) of IP addresses which
>can be assigned to a single NIC on an Internet
>Server, there is an endrun to this limitation
>by the manual addition of addresses in order
>to accomodate additional Virtual domains on
>a server.
>
>A blow by blow description of how this is accomplished
>on NT 3.51 would be very helpful and very much appreciated.

The limitation on 3.51 was in using the Control Panel to input the IP
addresses, nothing more.

The Control panel allows you to input up to 5. To add additional addresses,
use regedit32 to open the appropriate registry parameter and simply add
additional IP addresses, one per line. I don't recall the exact
entry...it's the one for the NIC you've added. On my system, it was eln33
or something similar for an Ethernet 3C509...

This worked fine on NT 3.51 SP2. When I applied SP5, nothing broke (that I
know of <g>)

>Also, is there any known downside to using this method instead
>of installing another NIC.

None that I know of.

If you need more info, please email me privately, I may have a writeup I
can either email or fax you...

HTH,

Lee

Lee Levitt, Director, Business Development
Lee.Levitt@software.com
Software.com - The Internet Infrastructure Company (tm)
Publishers of Post.Office and InterMail
91 Hartwell Avenue http://www.software.com
Lexington, MA 02173
Phone: 617-274-7000 x 229 Fax: 617-674-1080