Re: post.office

Mark Williamson ( mark@isat.com )
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 10:23:13 -0800

At 10:14 PM 12/19/96 -0500, you wrote:
>At 12:40 AM 3/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>Jeff, have been following the NT ISP mailing list, and read with interest
>>your comments on the SPAM bug.. I run a very small installation of
>>post.office, of about 150 accounts (unlimted user license) and was
>>wondering if you could elaberate a bit more on the SPAM bug.
>>
>> What exactly is it about, and how could it damage my server?? Is there
>>anything I can do NOW to prevent or cut down any risk??
>
>No, there's not a damn thing you can do, and that is my complaint. Joe
>Spammer on some other ISP knows he cannot use that ISP's mail server to

yes, this is absolutely verifiable. But it is not a bug. I'd say it's an
implimentation issue. Some mail servers validate the sender's address as
being a member of the mail server's domain, but post.office does not. I'd
say a fix is needed :)

Other problem is some SMTP client software (like eudora, but not
specifically), don't send the sender's name correctly when logging into an
SMTP server. I've see this:

HELO MOZILLA from netscape. It should actually be HELO mark@isat.com (or
HELO mark)

which the mail server should then respond with an OK or not authorized.

Regards,
Mark Williamson
www.omegasoftware.com
Home of ISP Manager