Mark Williamson ( )
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 10:23:13 -0800

At 10:14 PM 12/19/96 -0500, you wrote:
>At 12:40 AM 3/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>Jeff, have been following the NT ISP mailing list, and read with interest
>>your comments on the SPAM bug.. I run a very small installation of
>>, of about 150 accounts (unlimted user license) and was
>>wondering if you could elaberate a bit more on the SPAM bug.
>> What exactly is it about, and how could it damage my server?? Is there
>>anything I can do NOW to prevent or cut down any risk??
>No, there's not a damn thing you can do, and that is my complaint. Joe
>Spammer on some other ISP knows he cannot use that ISP's mail server to

yes, this is absolutely verifiable. But it is not a bug. I'd say it's an
implimentation issue. Some mail servers validate the sender's address as
being a member of the mail server's domain, but does not. I'd
say a fix is needed :)

Other problem is some SMTP client software (like eudora, but not
specifically), don't send the sender's name correctly when logging into an
SMTP server. I've see this:

HELO MOZILLA from netscape. It should actually be HELO (or
HELO mark)

which the mail server should then respond with an OK or not authorized.

Mark Williamson
Home of ISP Manager
Quality billing software for WinNT