RE: post.office 3.0 is coming

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:52:53 -0500

At 05:19 PM 3/20/97 -0500, you wrote:

>able to change along with it. How many of you have changed *your* pricing
>in the past 2 years? How many of you were in this business 2 years ago?

Sir, we have been in business for TEN years. We have LOWERED our pricing
twice in the past five years. We provide unlimited voice support on our
software products (Telix communications software). I take your comments
about my business acumen as an insult.

>In addition, our technical support continues to receive lots of positive
>comments from people like you...and we believe that our tech support
>department is unbeatable.

Yes, your support people are very good, given the environment that your
management has placed them, in being unable to actually have and give
information about fixing serious security holes as the major server people
do (Microsoft, Netscape, etc, fix security holes within DAYS -- you have YET
to acknowledge my pleas for a fix to YOUR security holes. If you don't knwo
about htem, go talk to your famed support staff, notably, Kurt Bell. Ask
for a copy of my correspondence with him).

>So what do you think is fair? Where do we draw the line between small ISPs,
>for whom cash is tight, and larger ISPs, for whom cash is also tight...but
>they've got a bit more of it...? Should we give our product away to one
>group, but not to another? Help me with the rationale here...

I bought an unlimited license. Charge me a reasonable UPGRADE fee, but
leave my license alone. Retroactive pricing changes to your existing
customer base does nothing but piss off the existing customer base. New
buyers know what they're getting, and also have the right to expect that the
entire BASIS of the license won't change either.

And BTW, the performance of post.office under load HAS NOT been admirable.
When the spammers have hit us by hijacking our server (the security hole I
speak of and have not heard anything about other than "we're looking into
it" for MONTHS), it filled up my hard drive, and crashed the system for
eleven hours until the logjam cleared. The same test performed on NTMail
did not cause a like problem.

>I do appreciate your input and feedback...we want to continue to build
>world class products and work with high quality ISPs such as yourselves...

Not if I can prevent people from buying your product. Your support staff is
the only real asset you have left, sir. Your product does not perform, and
your management refuses to quickly address a security hole. As I said to
Mr. Bell in your support department, with management like that, I wish you
very good luck. You'll need all you can get.

>Further constructive comments appreciated, either on the list or
>private...flames ignored...

Then I've just given you a lot to ignore. But I am a customer, and a
displeased one. Flame or not, I hope you take it to heart. You won't stay
in business ten years like we have without acknowledging customer complaints
and dealing with them without self-serving praise and rose-colored glasses.
That Netscape license won't carry you forever.