Re: NEWS server

Danny Mayer ( mayer@mro.dec.com )
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:54:56 -0500

At 07:44 PM 3/19/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Jim Perry wrote:
>>
>> Has anybody on this list tried the newest version of DNEWS ver 4
>> >From reading thier maillist it sounds great and much faster.
>> We have run DNEWs 2.7 for almost a year, and can upgrade for free to ver 4
>> Anybody on this list try it?
>
>Only if they had an alpha compile. :( Neither 3.0 or 4.0 is available
>for the
>Alpha...
>
>--
>Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea.com)

They will shortly. I had a discussion with Chris last week and that
was one of my questions. He expects to have DNews 4.0 in release status
within the next month. 4.0 should eliminate the disk fragmentation problem
since they completely rewrote the disk storage to take care of these things.
In addition it will allow you to spread your news across multiple drives.

Danny

Danny Mayer Digital Equipment Corporation
mayer@mro.dec.com Marlboro, MA 01752