Re: Username length

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:53:14 -0700

Pat Augustine wrote:

> Dale,
>
> Ooops! I just realized that the Username field in the Calls Table has a
> length of 12 but the Login field in Subaccounts has a length of 16, so
> users with names longer than 12 don't show up in my tables.
>
> Checking a recent insttabs.sql I see that you've changed them both to 32
> in some more recent version than I used to create the database (2.042 I
> think, it's been a while).
> I went to SQL Manager and can't seem to change the field. I figured it
> wouldn't let me make it smaller, but there must be a way to make it larger...
>
> Is there a relatively easy way to do this?

SQL Server doesn't have an easy way of doing field changes like this.
There
are two options which I details to the list a while back:

1) If its a small number of records in the table, then you can rename
the field
to like field_old, and add a new field with the fieldname and the right
size. YOu
have to re-create your DRI stuff, though.

2) use bcp to copy the table out of SQL Server into a file, then change
the def
and copy it back in.