Re: simple update script

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:45:21 -0500

> Josh Hillman wrote:
> >
> > What would the SQL script be to make all subaccounts under an inactive
> > masteraccount, inactive? In other words, if the masteraccount is
marked
> > inactive, how would I make the subaccounts inactive also? I know how
to do
> > it through Emerald, of course, but there are quite a few accounts that
need
> > to be modified and it would take forever sifting through the Emerald
> > windows...
>
> My question would be why? If either the MA is inactive to subaccounts
> work, and no billing is created.

I know where you're coming from about billing and everything--there's no
problem there... The only reason I would like to do this is for use when
broadcasting email messages to users. I only want the messages to go to
active email accounts. I have email addresses listed in each subaccount
for PPP and Email, so that I just obtain an email list of all users, then
copy/paste it into a temporary mailbox in Post.Office. I then send my
message to that temporary mailbox, which then forwards the message to all
of the addresses pasted in. If this list contains email addresses that
aren't really being used, it's just a waste of space and server time.
Plus, I can use the list of inactive services to compare to the list of
mailboxes so that I can delete whichever ones are no longer in use (in
P.O.).

Currently, to create the list of email addresses to send my broadcast
messages to, I use this script:

select email from subaccounts where active = 1

Unfortunately, because some of the current subaccounts that are still
marked active are attached to MBR's that have been marked INactive,
therefore are no longer used. This prevents me from accurately comparing
PO mailboxes to the actual active email addresses.

I hope that made some kind of sense... If not, let me know and I'll try to
elaborate a bit differently.

Thanks,

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com