Re: Files in beta folder

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:13:50 -0800

Erik Lundby wrote:

> I see you have 2.0.84 and 2.0.86 copies of the emerald client in the beta
> folder. What is your position on this software? Should we be using it in a
> production environment? Are there features that show up but are not yet
> enabled that you don't wan't bug reports on? (like some of the balance
> forward stuff which looks cool bye the way.) Should I be ok using it on a
> machine or two so long as I also use 2.0.75 on some machines? If I do use
> one of these, which one. Thanks for all your help.

Typically I put new versions in there when I am working with someone
on a specific problem. The "officially" supported version is the
last major archive in the /emerald directory, though.

They are basically the same version, except 86 has a batch delay
option (don't use it). See the changes.txt in the 84 archive for
all the gory details. :)

Play with it, don't gripe too much, and you'll see more like that.
The more I get hammered about "beta" releases, the less likely we
will put more of them up there.