Re: [RadiusNT] Radius NT "capacity"

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:34:45 -0700

Jim Whaley wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes:
>
> We're about to do some expansion here, and I'm wondering what kind of load
> capacity Radius NT 2.5 or 3.0 is capable of handling...
>
> 5,000 users?
> 10,000 users?
> 80,000 users?

The last performance checks I ran, a single RadiusNT 3.0 server
running on a PII-300 (local SQL Server) could handle the average
load of a 250K user ISP. This is assuming things like a 10:1
port ratio, average on-line time of 20 minutes, etc. However,
anyone using a singles RADIUS server for 250K users probably
needs to re-think thier implementation just a LITTLE. :)

I see no reason why a couple of RadiusNT 3.0 servers couldn't
handle the load of 100K+ without breaking a sweat. The Smart
Cache system really takes the load off the DB and allowes it
to continue working even if the DB is unavailable.

However, the most limiting factor for RadiusNT 2.5 (not so
much 3.0, but still a big part) is the speed of your RDBMS.
If RadiusNT can't get the data out of the database in a
timely fashion, there isn't much we can do to make it
faster.

> Can RadiusNT 3.0 handle more that RadiusNT 2.5?

Definately. Mainly because the Smart Cache takes a significant
load off the backend RDBMS.

--

Dale E. Reed Jr. Emerald and RadiusNT/X__________________________________________IEA Software, Inc. www.iea-software.com