Re: [Emerald] Credit Account

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:42:28 -0400

From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
> You shouldn't be making a payment. You should be putting a credit
> on the account. A negative payment is a credit. :)

You're referring to Charges.Amount being a negative number, right?
If that's the case, how does this get tracked for accounting purposes?
Presently, our monthly accounting SQL scripts are based on the Payments and
Invoices tables. The accounts receivable is based on the
MasterAccounts.Balance field and also includes modified fragments of the
aging.sql script. Charges/credits are only taken into account if they're
applied to invoices.

If a customer pays monthly and is paid through 7/7/00 and was supposed to
have been canceled back on 6/7/00 and we forgot to do it, so the credit card
was run again..., we create a manual invoice for 6/7/00 - 7/7/00 for say
$-20.00 that overlaps the last invoice/billing period of 6/7/00 - 7/7/00 for
$20.00. We pay the negative invoice as $-20.00 (in the long run), then
adjust the paid-thru, expiration, billedthru dates accordingly (and the
balance if necessary). Then, when you look at the billing history for that
MBR, it shows an incoming payment of 20.00 for 6/7/00-7/7/00, then a "paid"
credit/refund of (-)20.00 going out to the customer. This refund is also
reproduceable at any point as a printable/emailable invoice.

If we track a refund as a negative charge (credit) in Emerald, then the
following could occur:
If that customer decides to reactivate in a few months, there's a negative
charge associated with the MBR that is NOT associated with an invoice. When
the "new" invoice is generated after the customer returns, this negative
charge is automatically applied to that invoice and it throws off what the
customer actually owes.

Josh