RE: [NTISP] Conversion from Bit to byte

Stainforth, Matthew ( (no email) )
Thu, 4 May 2000 08:53:01 -0300

This isn't correct either. A T1 is actually 8000 frames per second at 193
bits per frame. That multiplies out to 1.544 megabits per second. When you
channelize that, you split the frame bits into 24 bit chunks and use 1 bit
as the frame marker so you effectively get 24 * 64kbps channels...which is
1.536 megabits per second. The channelized version is typically called a
DS1 which is NOT (contrary to popular belief) analogous to T1. The channels
are called DS0s. A T1 set up for point-to-point communications is typically
not channelized and will have the full 1.544 mbps bandwidth available to it.

Matthew Stainforth || Technical Services Manager || BrunNet Inc.