RE: [NTISP] Caching devices good? bad? Help

Chazakis Ioannis ( (no email) )
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:30:32 +0300

We have been using squid and set our cisco routers to do transparent caching
for some time now.. Works like a charm.
Cidera looks very good, infact we are expecting their technician to install
the dish and adapter. Apart from the large customer base, its also got a
45Mbps downlink to each dish, so its pretty fast too.

-----Original Message-----
From: ntisp-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:ntisp-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of Peter Deacon
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2000 1:45 AM
To: ntisp@iea-software.com
Subject: Re: [NTISP] Caching devices good? bad? Help

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, JM Foster wrote:

> We used a cache server from Cobalt Networks.
> Personally I don't think caching is a viable solution
> on the mid to small level ISP because the community is not large
> enough to have a decent cache. I spoke to Cidera.com, they use a global
> community of 8.5 million customers to create their cache.
> This is what we are going to move to.

There's something about caches that seem faster even if only one person is
using it and the data your requesting is not in the cache -- over dialup
anyway (but it might be my imagination:) I think it has something to do
with tcp chat latency being absorbed by the cache buffering data locally.

Have Fun!
Peter