Re: [NTISP] newbie setting up ISP on NT4 Server

Danny Sinang ( (no email) )
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 11:22:49 +0800

In my opionion, you should do it this way :

First server :

1. Primary DNS
2. Web / FTP
3. Radius

Second server
1. Secondary DNS
2. Email

I would also install Radius and Web/FTP functions on the second server just
in case the 1st server conks out. Do the same with email on the 1st server.

If you can spare a 32 MB RAM PC, then I would put up a Linux server and make
it my primary DNS server and proxy server.

As for software, here's what I recommend :

1. Email - NTMail ( www.ntmail.co.uk ) or IMail ( www.ipswitch.com )
2. Radius - RadiusNT ( www.iea-software.com )
3. Billing - Emerald ( www.iea-software.com ) - comes with built-in RadiusNT
4. Web / FTP - Microsoft IIS 4.0 ( packaged with NT Server 4.0 )
5. DNS - BIND 4.9.5 ( www.software.com )
6. Proxy server - Squid ( runs on Linux; see http://squid.nlanr.net )

IMail and NTMail can both be integrated with Emerald. So, you will only have
to define users once and their email addresses can be automatically created
as you create accounts in Emerald.

- Danny