Re: [NTISP] ISP class mail system virus scanning

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:03:04 -0500

From: Jeff Binkley <jeff.binkley@asacomp.com>
> Has anyone started offering E-mail virus scanning to their customers ? If so
> what E-Mail package and virus scanning software are you using ?

I tried this a long time ago (I guess about 3 years ago) and used an NT networking version of McAfee
I think. It wreaked havoc with Post.Office (whatever the version was at the time) and lots of mail
was getting stuck in the system as a result. As soon as I turned off the virus scanning on the
machine, everything was back to normal.

I'm not saying this would be the case in the present day--obviously things change (usually for the
better). What I want to point out is that you should first contact the vender of your mailserver
software to find out if there are any known issues with any virus-scanning software you plan to
test/impliment.

Josh