Re: [RadiusNT] Radius Attribute #4

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 19:39:28 -0500

> Josh Hillman wrote:
> > Our dictionary files and RadAttributes table in SQL(7), have
> > "NAS-Identifier" associated with attribute 4. Attribute 4 should be
> > "NAS-IP-Address" and attribute 32 (not listed in our tables) is supposed
> > be "NAS-Identifier".
> > If I add attribute 32 as NAS-Identifier and change attribute 4 to
> > NAS-IP-Address, will it break anything with other tables or
RadiusNT-related

From: Dale E. Reed Jr. <daler@iea-software.com>
> Just add attribute #32 as NAS-Identifier as well.

I did this (string).

> Don't change
> the name of #4, or your calls accounting will not function right.

Renaming attribute 4 to "NAS-IP-Address" AND changing Calls.NASIdentifier to
Calls.NASIPAddress won't prevent this problem from occuring? For what it's
worth, we don't use any of the Calls data for billing, etc.

I'm bringing this up because some NASes that will soon be authenticating and
issuing accounting records to our system use both attribute 4 AND 32.

Here's where there are some discrepencies that I'm not sure how to deal
with:

RadAttributes table in Emerald:
RadAttributeID Type Name
-------------- ----------- --------------
4 2 NAS-Identifier
32 0 NAS-Identifier

RFC 2138:
Attribute Length Type Name
--------- ------ --------------------- --------------
4 6 address (four octets) NAS-IP-Address
32 >=3 string NAS-Identifier

Our Ascend 40xx machines are presently populating the Calls.NASIdentifier
(varchar(16)) with IP addresses like "123.123.123.123".

The other NASes that we'll soon be dealing with report both attribute 4 and
32 in the start/stop records. They're defined as:
Attribute Length/Type Name Comments
--------- -------------- -------------- -----------
4 4-byte integer NAS-IP-Address
IP address in network form (i.e. non-dotted format)
32 17-byte string NAS-Identifier
5 bytes ASCII text (no null terminator) PLUS
12 bytes ASCII text:
chassis type (2)
chassis number (2)
chassis card number (2)