Re: [Emerald] Serv-U 2.5d and services

Brian ( support@cserv.net )
Sat, 20 May 2000 14:19:25 -0400

Dave Turner wrote:

> Scottie:
>
> Doing this involves editing the registry, so as always, make sure you
> proceed with caution. With Windows 2000, there is a tab specifically
> designed to set up service dependencies, but with NT 4.0, follow these
> instructions.
>
> taken from: http://help.netscape.com/kb/corporate/19980408-1.html
>
> On NT, you can make one service, say Service X, depend on another service,
> say Service Y. This way Service X won't start until service Y has
> been started.
>
> You may follow this procedure to do it:
>
> 1) Open a DOS shell and run "REGEDIT", the registry editor.
> 2) Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE window.
> 3) Expand the "SYSTEM" folder (by double-clicking on it).
> 4) Expand the "CurrentControlSet" folder.
> 5) Expand the "Services" folder.
> 6) Scroll down until you find "Service X", and select it.
> This will display a list of values for this service in the
> right-hand
> side of the window.
> 7) Select "Add Value" from the Edit menu, enter "DependOnService" as
> the
> value name, and click "OK".
> 8) When it asks you for a string, enter "Service Y" then click "OK".
>
> These steps will ensure that Service X will not start until Service
> has started.
>
> Hope this is of some help.
>
> Dave Turner
> davet@iea-software.com
> System Admin/Support Engineer
> IEA-Software
> 509-444-2455
> ext. 111

Just a note of thanks to Scottie and Dave for posting the original
question and
answer here.
After setting up a sequence of dependencies my Server no longer hangs
when
rebooted, and boots in record time.

--

Thanks,Brian DooleyClassic Servicehttp://www.cserv.net

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` - Man cannot survive except by gaining knowledge, and reason is his only means to gain it.-

Ayn Rand