RE: [Emerald] Serv-U 2.5d and services

Dave Turner ( (no email) )
Fri, 19 May 2000 08:42:07 -0700

Scottie:

Doing this involves editing the registry, so as always, make sure you
proceed with caution. With Windows 2000, there is a tab specifically
designed to set up service dependencies, but with NT 4.0, follow these
instructions.

taken from: http://help.netscape.com/kb/corporate/19980408-1.html

On NT, you can make one service, say Service X, depend on another service,
say Service Y. This way Service X won't start until service Y has
been started.

You may follow this procedure to do it:

1) Open a DOS shell and run "REGEDIT", the registry editor.
2) Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE window.
3) Expand the "SYSTEM" folder (by double-clicking on it).
4) Expand the "CurrentControlSet" folder.
5) Expand the "Services" folder.
6) Scroll down until you find "Service X", and select it.
This will display a list of values for this service in the
right-hand
side of the window.
7) Select "Add Value" from the Edit menu, enter "DependOnService" as
the
value name, and click "OK".
8) When it asks you for a string, enter "Service Y" then click "OK".

These steps will ensure that Service X will not start until Service
has started.

Hope this is of some help.

Dave Turner
davet@iea-software.com