RE: [Emerald] Serv-U 2.5d and services

Dave Turner ( (no email) )
Fri, 19 May 2000 08:42:07 -0700

Doing this involves editing the registry, so as always, make sure you
proceed with caution. With Windows 2000, there is a tab specifically
designed to set up service dependencies, but with NT 4.0, follow these

taken from:

On NT, you can make one service, say Service X, depend on another service,
say Service Y. This way Service X won't start until service Y has
been started.

You may follow this procedure to do it:

1) Open a DOS shell and run "REGEDIT", the registry editor.
2) Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE window.
3) Expand the "SYSTEM" folder (by double-clicking on it).
4) Expand the "CurrentControlSet" folder.
5) Expand the "Services" folder.
6) Scroll down until you find "Service X", and select it.
This will display a list of values for this service in the
side of the window.
7) Select "Add Value" from the Edit menu, enter "DependOnService" as
value name, and click "OK".
8) When it asks you for a string, enter "Service Y" then click "OK".

These steps will ensure that Service X will not start until Service
has started.

Hope this is of some help.

Dave Turner
System Admin/Support Engineer