Re: [Emerald] Web/ASP Interface

Randy Martin ( IEAEmerald@austintx.net )
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:56:29 -0500

At 12:58 PM 4/5/2000 -0700, you wrote:
Nathan Haywood wrote:

> Doesn't anyone else realize that a DB front-end is exactly whatEmerald is?
> Other than that, it's just a data structure with a few storedprocedures...
> RadiusNT is a distinct product that handles the authenticationagainst the
> database (or other source).

If they did realize that, they would be wrong.   Emerald is notJUST a
DB front end.  For example, when you add a user, it handlespro-rates,
interim invoices, etc.  There is quite a bit more to managing userdata
than just updating fields.  Changing the data in the databaseoutside of
Emerald can cause significant problems, if you don't know exactlywhat
you are doing, and is therefore not recommended nor supported.

> I use Emerald all the time, but if you're going to replace the"standard
> Emerald client" then are you even still running Emerald?

There are some simple function that could be made into a web
interface fairly easy (like incidents).  However user managementand
billing is NOT something I would recommend trying to replace fromthe
Emerald client.

So, when is IEA going to provide at least some basic stuff via a webinterface? When I purchased Emerald at the end of last year, your salesdepartment told me that the "next version" of Emerald wouldhave a web-based interface. I didn't ask what "next version"meant, but I assumed it meant the next major release of the product. Idon't think it's absolutely necessary to be able to do everything via theweb, although it would be nice. :) It would, however, be very useful tobe able to have a web interface that customers could use to see theirtime-on-line, billing/account history, get another printout of aninvoice, etc. It would also be useful for admin/tech support personnel tobe able to view who's online, view the RadLog, change passwords, settemporary extends, etc. from the web. I've contemplated doing this viaCold Fusion, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

So, back to my original question, when are you guys going to provide uswith at least some basic web functionality?

Randy