RE: [Emerald] PortMaster 2E netconns

Duane Schaub ( (no email) )
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:04:54 -0600

I saw this problem a couple of years ago using PM-MON, the monitoring tool.
Basically, it worked by telneting to the unit and grabing a bunch of info
every few minutes. For some reason, the telnet sessions would sometimes
hang and required a reboot of the unit to recover. MRTG works using snmp
and does not have this problem.

For some reason, someone or something is telneting to your unit and
abandoning the session.. ussually after login, otherwise the session would
timeout. Personally, I block all inbound telnet sessions at the border
routers and this eliminates 99% of my problems as Denial of service attacks
are ussually external.

Duane.

-----Original Message-----
From: emerald-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:emerald-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of Bernard Andrys
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2000 7:52 PM
To: emerald@iea-software.com
Subject: RE: [Emerald] PortMaster 2E netconns

Yeah, all the pm's have that problem. Be sure to tell your staff not to
close the telnet program to end a session. Always type "exit" to close the
session cleanly. There is also an obscure command to up the number of
telnet sessions from 2 (default) to 10 (maximum). This will reduce the
problem. Unfortunately I can't remember the command that does this :(