Re: [Emerald] SQL 7 deadlocks

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:35:11 -0500

> Josh Hillman wrote:
> > When running a particular script in SQL 7 SP1, I am getting the
following
> > error message quite often:
> >
> > Server: Msg 1205, Level 13, State 61, Line 11
> > Your transaction (process ID #22) was deadlocked with another process
and
> > has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun your transaction.
> >
> > What's causing this and how can I fix it? I never ran into this with
SQL

From: Dale E. Reed Jr. <daler@iea-software.com>
> Its probably because it has to do a full table scan, since you don't
> have
> an index that suits your criteria. You could try specifying one, or
> use SQL Query Analyer to recommend one.

That's pretty neat--I didn't know that was there. Here's what it
recommended:
USE Emerald
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [calls0]
ON [dbo].[calls]([calldate], [username], [nasport], [acctsessiontime])
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [subaccounts1]
ON [dbo].[subaccounts]([login], [accounttype], [loginlimit])

I haven't done anything with it though because I don't know what negative
effects it might have with RadiusNT, etc.

> I would guess you are running into a problem with RadiusNT inserting
> records into the table, while you are trying to read them.

That was my guess too. At least RadiusNT seems to have priority over
scripts run in ISQL / Query Analyzer.

> I'd have to see your table/index list to really make a guess at
> the problem, though.

Since the output of "sp_help calls" is 25k and very wide, I put it at the
address below. I also stuck in the results of "sp_spaceused calls" at the
top:
http://hillman.talstar.com/calls.txt
Let me know when you get it so that I can remove it.

Thanks,
Josh