Re: [Emerald] adjusting column widths in SQL 7

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 12:34:21 -0800

Josh Hillman wrote:

> Today, I finally upgraded our Emerald db server from SQL 6.5 SP5a to 7.0 SP1
> and everything seems to be working just fine...
>
> Can the AccountTypes.AccountType column width be changed from 15 to say 25
> or something without messing anything up in the database? I only ask
> because anytime you make a change like this, the Design Table asks you
> whether or not to save a bunch of other tables, etc. It gives me the
> willies everytime I see that.

Yes, but you have to change it in other tables as well. The best
way to get that list is right click over the AccountTypes table
and select the show dependicies. It will tell you tables that are
dependant on the AccountTypes table, and the lengths of those need to
match.

> Now that SQL 7 is installed, I could finally change Charges.ItemID to allow
> nulls. When saving it, other tables were also saved and it didn't seem to
> break anything...

No. What it has to do is remove the relationship, change the type, and
put the relationship back. Therefore, its not really change the other
tables, its changing the relationships between the table you are
changing
and the other table.