RE: [Emerald] Cant login to Emerald

Ed and Kathy Tate ( (no email) )
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:32:16 -0800

I don't run the network client utility. Ever since we upgraded to SQL 7.0,
no one in our office can login in to Emerald from a dial-up connection.
This has had a tremendous impact on productivity. It is going on three
months with no clue as to what the issue might be. I have seen a few other
postings regarding this issue but I never see any answers. I am desperate
to get this resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kathy Tate
McMinnville, OR
-----Original Message-----
[]On Behalf Of Dale E. Reed Jr.
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 1999 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Emerald] Cant login to Emerald

Ed and Kathy Tate wrote:
> However, I can login using SQL Manger, or query analyzer. We also have a
> companion application built in access that connects to the Emerald
> using the same DSN and calls the same DSN. It is able to login without
> problems. This occurs even with logging with SA.

You are assuming Emerald uses ODBC. It doesn't. Have you
the server/database settings on the login screen? I do dialup from my
home all the time into our SQL 7 boxes here at work without a problem.

> Can Dale, someone from support, or anyone give me an idea why this is. I
> have an employee the telecommutes and this had made the process
> It seems to me it has something in the Emerald Compiled code when it calls
> the DSN that is different or it introduces something else. This is a
> mystery!

Again, Emerald does NOT use ODBC. It uses the MS SQL DB-LIB API. The
is irrelevant for all operations of Emerald except printing.

If you run the Network Client utility, do you have any entries for it?
What is your default transport in there?