Re: [Emerald] SQL 7

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:15:50 -0800

PowerNet wrote:
> I am currently running SQL 6.5 Emerald 300 and Admin 288. Things are working pretty good.
> I have purchased SQL 7 and would like to upgrade.
> I can't afford downtime. What exactly do I need to do to Upgrade to SQL 7, and how will it benefit?

1. Make a backup

2. Make ANOTHER backup. :)

3. Make sure you have 2x the space available on your SQL Server that you
current DB are using.

4. Run the SQL 7 installation, and check "run upgrade wizard when done".

5. When the upgrade wizard starts, tell it to upgrade just your Emerald

6. Let it do its thing.

AS a side note. SQL 7 installs in a seperate dir than 6.5, including
its dbs, etc. It does NOT share or sync with 6.5, except for the one
upgrade wizard. There is a switch program to allow you to choose which
version you want to run (incase 7.0 bombs during the upgrade, switch
to 6.5). No 6.5 data is actually updated/changed.